A LEADING PROVIDER OF SOCIAL SERVICES IN GREATER MILWAUKEE
FOR INDIVIDUALS, FAMILIES AND CHILDREN THROUGHOUT THE LIFECYCLE

Home | Contact Us

  About JFS   Services Volunteer Contact Us Support JFS News    
 

About JFS

Philosophy History Leadership Staff Bios Giving Affiliations Careers Publications Outreach

1951 – 1990

1956

  • Fee charging for counseling services is implemented.

1961

  • The Ladies Auxiliary offers a variety of family life education programs including an annual Mother's conference.

1964

  • A group home for adolescents is established at 6333 W. Keefe Avenue.

1966

  • Ralph Sherman is appointed executive director.
  • The Agency's innovative consultative relationship with Hillel Academy leads to a substantive support service for the community's Communal agencies and schools. From that start, the Agency's Consultation Service grows to serve B'nai B'rith Youth Organization, Milwaukee Jewish Day School, Hillel Academy, Yeshiva Elementary School, Jewish Community Center Nursery School, J.C.C. Day Camp and Camp Interlaken.

1967

  • The Agency moves from Third Street office to Plankinton Building.
  • Adoption Services are discontinued after assurance from Children's Service Society of Wisconsin that they will place Jewish children in Jewish homes.

1971

  • The Agency becomes the first traditional social service Agency to employ an outreach street worker in response to the "hippie" and counterculture movements.

1972

  • The Ladies Auxiliary becomes an affiliate of the total Agency.

1973

  • The Agency's first professional volunteer coordinator establishes the Volunteer Services. Department separate from the longstanding volunteer services orchestrated by the Ladies Auxiliary.
  • The Agency moves to the Helfaer Building.

1974

  • Under Edith Klein's leadership, the Share Shop is opened to serve the community at large.

1976

  • The Agency's foster care services are discontinued as there are few children in need of placement as the agency has adopted the "Family Treatment" model of therapy.

1977

  • The Agency establishes a child care (day care) center as an integrated program with the Jewish Community Center for 12 children. It later becomes the Jewish Family Services Child Development Center and served nearly 100 annually.
  • The Jewish Childrens' Home property is sold to Jewish Vocational Services on a land contract basis.
  • The Ladies Auxiliary name is changed to FRIENDS to expand its membership to men. New By-Laws are developed.

1979

  • The Agency is certified as an Outpatient Mental Health facility by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services, thereby enabling clients to use their health insurance to cover counseling fees.

1981

  • Golda Meir House is built in 1981 to answer the housing needs of the elderly. It is home to up to 150 residents. The social service component of Golda Meir House is developed jointly by the Agency and the Milwaukee Jewish Federation.

1983

  • FRIEND'S members become Corporate Members of the Agency without a separate board or officers.
  • The Agency joins with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation and establishes the Exceptional Needs program. The goal of the Exceptional Needs Department is to help clients reach their highest level of independence with the best quality of life.

1984

  • An Exceptional Needs Program is established as a distinct service.

1985

  • Housing for Adult Developmentally Disabled is established. The Agency leases four apartment units to provide housing and services for eight developmentally disabled persons. Guardianship and Conservatorship programs are established, primarily for Exceptional Needs clients.

1986

  • JFS begins supervising a Chaplaincy Program.

1987

  • The Agency changes its name to Jewish Family Services (JFS) to reflect its many services to all generations.

1988

  • JFS establishes the Jewish Community Task Force on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse.

1989

  • Elliot Lubar is appointed executive director.
  • A Late Life Counseling program in partnership with Milwaukee County is developed to serve the homebound elderly.

1990

  • Subsidized Home Care evolves through a Federation grant.
1867 - 1900 1901 - 1950 1951 - 1990 1991 - 2005 2006 - 2007 2008 - 2009 2009 - 2010 2010 - 2011 2011 - 2012 2012 - 2013 2013 - 2014 2014 - 2015